October 1963 Electronics World
Table of Contents
Wax nostalgic about and learn from the history of early electronics. See articles
Electronics World, published May 1959
- December 1971. All copyrights hereby acknowledged.
This crossword puzzle appeared in the October 1963 edition of Electronics World. About half the words used are related directly in some way to electronics or physics. My RF Cafe crosswords, BTW, have 100% of the words directly related to the sciences. Enjoy.
By John D. Owens
1. Incombustible residue left after burning.
4. Types of potentiometer used primarily as an attenuator.
9. Slang for equipment.
12. Chemical suffix denoting salt.
13. Type of FM detector circuit.
14. One (Scots).
15. Circuit having parallel Rand C in one arm; series Rand L in the opposite arm.
18. Unrefined metal.
19. _________ conductors: class of solid materials characterized by high resistance.
22. You (German).
24. One electrode of a battery.
27. Island (French).
28. Tolerance value of silver in the resistor code.
29. That is.
31. Device having a tungsten filament and containing mercury or argon.
35. Altitude (abbr.).
36. Visible lines on a TV screen.
37. Secret agent.
38. Care for.
41. Geological formations
42. Teleost fish.
44. Day (Spanish).
45. Material used to maintain high frequency stability in a vacuum-tube oscillator of a transceiver.
52. Part ownership in a business enterprise (abbr.).
53. Term used to indicate that current is being taken from a voltage source.
54. Former name of the industry's engineering society (abbr.).
55. Frequency bandwidth.
56. American poet.
57. System based on primary units of length, mass, and time (abbr.).
2. Depot (abbr.).
3. Six-electrode vacuum tubes.
4. Elm or oak.
6. Big body of water (abbr.).
7. Fishes in a particular way.
8. Angry (slang).
9. Receiver (colloq.).
10. Common word ending.
11. Make a right turn.
20. Operates photoelectric relay.
22. Polyphase winding connection.
25. Artificial illumination sources.
26. Catch sight of.
29. Suffix denoting chemical compounds.
32. Type of volume control.
33. First woman.
34. Possessing non-directional characteristics.
39. Close by.
41. Prefix meaning "not."
43. British for "Inc."
44. Unit of force.
45. Confirmation of radio communication among hams.
46. New channels (abbr.).
47. Metallic element (abbr.).
48. Top of a tube.
49. River, in Spain.
50. Silver (abbr.).
51. The (French).
Posted April 20, 2015
Answer to Electronic Crosswords