What A Difference A Century Makes!
Take a break from the drudgery with some of these jokes, song parodies, anecdotes and assorted humor
that has been collected from friends & from websites across the Internet. This humor is light-hearted
and sometimes slightly offensive to the easily-offended, so you are forewarned. I have taken care
to censor "humor" with overt sexual overtones (or undertones), degrading political taunts, and hateful
tirades, so it is all workplace-safe. I have also tried to warn of any links that will result in audio
clips so you can take appropriate precautions. Please send any potential candidates for this humor
page to the e-mail link above.
| Humor #2 | Humor #3
are the U.S. statistics for 1903....
- The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.
- Only 14% of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub (about the same as in
- Only 8% of the homes had a telephone.
- A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost $11.
- There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S. and only 144 miles of paved roads.
- The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
- Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated
- With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 2first most
populous state in the Union.
- The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
- A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a
dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000.
- More than 95% of all births in the US took place at home.
- Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
- Coffee cost fifteen cents a pound.
- Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg
yolks for shampoo.
- Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country
for any reason.
- The five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
4. Heart disease
- The American flag had 45 stars - Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii
and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.
- The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was 30.
- Canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.
- There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
- 1 out of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.
- Only 6% of all Americans had graduated from high school.
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter
at corner drugstores.
- According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy
to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact,
a perfect guardian of health.
- 18% of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or
- There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.
What a difference a century makes! Just think what it will be like
in another 100 years from now. ---from my Uncle Rick