What A Difference A Century Makes!
Take a break from the drudgery with some of these jokes, song parodies, anecdotes and assorted humor that has been
collected from friends & from websites across the Internet. This humor is light-hearted and sometimes slightly
offensive to the easily-offended, so you are forewarned. I have taken care to censor "humor" with overt sexual
overtones (or undertones) and hateful
tirades, so it is all workplace-safe. I have also tried to warn of any links that will result in audio
clips so you can take appropriate precautions. Please send any potential candidates for this humor
page to the e-mail link above.
| Humor #2 | Humor #3
Here are the U.S. statistics for 1903....
- The average life expectancy in the U.S. was 47 years.
- Only 14% of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub (about the same as in France today).
- Only 8% of the homes had a telephone.
- A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost $11.
- There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S. and only 144 miles of paved roads.
- The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.
- Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California.
- With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 2first most populous state in
- The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
- A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year,
a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000.
- More than 95% of all births in the US took place at home.
- Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
- Coffee cost fifteen cents a pound.
- Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
- Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason.
- The five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
4. Heart disease
- The American flag had 45 stars - Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska hadn't
been admitted to the Union yet.
- The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was 30.
- Canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.
- There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.
- 1 out of 10 U.S. adults couldn't read or write.
- Only 6% of all Americans had graduated from high school.
- Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores.
- According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,
regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.
- 18% of households in the U.S. had at least one full-time servant or domestic.
- There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.
What a difference a century makes! Just think what it will be like in another 100 years
from now. ---from my Uncle Rick
More than 10,000 searchable pages indexed.
Your RF Cafe
single-handedly redefining what an engineering website should be.
Progenitor & Webmaster
(Seize the Day!)
My USAF radar shop