The number of statements uttered verbally and/or in print is uncountable. Some are more noteworthy than others either
because of sheer brilliance, good humor, or utter inanity. We all hope our own remembered words, if any, fall into one
of the first two categories rather than the third. I do a lot of reading and find many notable quotes to use that fit
the theme of RF Cafe; they fall into all three categories. Enjoy.
- "...and great minds Don't think alike. If they did, the Patent Office would have only about 50 inventions."
- Wally (from Dilbert comics)
- "'Once the rockets go up, Who cares where they come down? That's not my department,' says Werner Von Braun!"
- Tom Lehrer
- "Old radar troops never die, they just 'Phase Array'" - Ronald L. Fate
- "My goal is simple. It is complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists as
all." - Stephen Hawking
- "Science is a good thing. News reporters are good things too. But it's never a good idea to put them in the
same room." - Scott Adams
- "When one's ideas are not challenged, one's ability to defend them weakens." - John Stuart Mill
- "Entropy isn't what it used to be." - Anon
- "Engineers think that equations approximate the real world.
Scientists think that the
real world approximates equations.
Mathematicians are unable to make the connection." - Anon
- "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the
facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the
facts that needs altering." - Dr Who
- "There is just one thing I can promise you about the outer-space program: your tax dollar will go farther."
— Wernher von Braun
- "Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose." - Ronald Reagan
- "They say that something as small as a butterfly beating its wings in China can cause a hurricane in
America, so maybe we should go to China and kill all the butterflies, just to be safe." — Ken Advent on Chaos
- "Seen your electric bill lately? It makes you want to drive your SUV to Saudi Arabia and start slapping
anyone who's in a good mood." - Scott Adams
- "Theft from a single author is plagiarism — from three or more it is research." - Anon
- "Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in
a month." — Wernher von Braun
- "Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than
those you did." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- "Computers can take you farther than you really are." - Anon
- "Simulations are not data." - Anon
- "It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking
resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan
- "I'm sure large companies have many kinds of mentoring programs for good engineers who arrive in fairly raw
form from good schools and good colleges and good universities. Then industry teaches them what they need to
know because we're so far ahead of universities. These graduate engineers don't even know what they don't know.
They don't know anything. And yet, if the kids have been given a good training, a good education, they have a
chance to start learning real fast as soon as we start teaching them," Robert Pease, National Semi analog guru
- "If you are listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you are a bigger
moron than they are." - Alice Cooper, rock star
- "Ordinarily, putting metal on an insulator is like putting water on a waxed car" - Dwight Jennison, magnetic
RAM breakthrough researcher at Sandia Labs
- "Remember, a Cray is the only computer that can run an endless loop in 4 hours." - Anon
- "The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil
service examination." - Ronald Reagan
- "Very often, too many of us, especially when you get a Master's degree, start thinking they know everything.
But all of your information is historical. It's not current from the moment you walk off the college campus,
especially in the electronic and aerospace business." - Malcom O'Neill, VP, CTO, Lockheed Martin