Engineering & Science Notable Quote Archive #8
The number of statements uttered verbally and/or in print is uncountable. Some are more noteworthy than others either
because of sheer brilliance, good humor, or utter inanity. We all hope our own remembered words, if any, fall into one
of the first two categories rather than the third. I do a lot of reading and find many notable quotes to use that fit
the theme of RF Cafe; they fall into all three categories. Enjoy.
- Many [American] youth in general have no interest in becoming engineers, simply because the industry markets its message poorly." - Wilbert Q. Murdock, entrepreneur
- Most of the projects we work on start out with people saying, 'You can't do that.' What they really mean is, 'We haven't done that before.'" - Dean Kamen, Segway inventor
- Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz, creator of Peanuts
- “Qualcomm may not have a license to print money, but it has a license to collect it by phone.” - Erik Sherman, Reed Electronics
- Technology is anything that doesn't quite work yet" - Danny Hillis, CTO of Applied Minds
- Experience is what you gain immediately after it was needed." - Joe Wagner, AMA's "The Engine Shop"
- We are training our engineers to be managers ,while the rest of the world is training them to be doers." - Bob Lutz, General Motors
- Geeks are early adopters. They're willing to give up whatever they're doing to find a better thing to do." - David Allen, author of "Getting Things Done"
- Take a half-dozen Nobel laureates in medicine in the 1980s: The work that won them the prize is now done routinely in high school biology labs." - Dean Kamen of DEKA R&D Corp.
- Any competent farmer knows it is wasteful to use his $100k tractor to pick up groceries, so why cannot highly educated management realize that it is equally wasteful to have $100k engineers do work that any high school graduate could do equally well?" - Thomas Bradley, EET contributor
- As technology makes things more idiot-proof, God seems to be creating more capable idiots." - Dave Brown, AMA President
- While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility." - Lee DeForest, American inventor (1873-1961)
- Silicon is arguably the most important and intensely studied material known to humankind." - Salvatore Coffa
- Our society places so much of the created value of a company in its patent portfolio that IP has become, in a very real sense, the family jewels." - Ron Wilson, EE Times
- The Higgs boson is a commode down which all theoretical inconsistencies are flushed." - Harvard physicist Sheldon Glashow
- All we have to do to know that fusion works is look up at the stars." - Carl Sagan, "Butthead Astronomer"
- The harsh fact is that the U.S. need for the highest quality human capital in science, mathematics, and engineering is not being met." - U.S. Commission on National Security for the 2first Century
- We're told that if you want to sell a product in China, you have to make that product in China." - EE Times guest writer
- Pain is weakness leaving the body." - U.S.M.C. saying
- We’re busier than an electron in a mistuned waveguide here." - Bob Davis, Sensus (formerly AMDS Wireless)