Here are some interesting (and infuriating) facts
to think about while you are preparing your income tax returns this year...
These tech-centric jokes,
song parodies, anecdotes and assorted humor have been collected from friends and
websites across the Internet. This humor is light-hearted and sometimes slightly
offensive to the easily-offended, so you are forewarned. It is all workplace-safe.
- The Gettysburg address is 269 words, the Declaration of Independence is
1,337 words, and the Holy Bible is only 773,000 (I don't know what version
the author was referring to) words. However, the tax law has grown from 11,400
words in 1913, to 7 million words today.
- There are at least 480 different tax forms, each with many pages of instructions.
Even the easiest form, the 1040E has 33 pages in instructions, and all in
- The IRS sends out 8 billion pages of forms and instructions each year. Laid
end to end, they would stretch 28 times around the earth.
- Nearly 300,000 trees are cut down yearly to produce the paper for all the IRS
forms and instructions.
- American taxpayers spend $200 billion and 5.4 billion hours working to comply
with federal taxes each year, more than it takes to produce every car, truck, and
van in the United States.
- The IRS employs 114,000 people; that's twice as many as the CIA and five times
more than the FBI.
- 60% of taxpayers must hire a professional to get through their own return.
- Taxes eat up 38.2% of the average family's income; that's more than for food,
clothing and shelter combined.
...thanks to Steve
for this one, too.