Table of Contents
Wax nostalgic about and learn from the history of early electronics. See articles
QST, published December 1915 - present (visit ARRL
for info). All copyrights hereby acknowledged.
These two advertisements appeared in the
July 1935 edition of QST. Bliley Electric is still in business here in
Erie, Pennsylvania as Bliley Technologies. They make crystals and frequency sources.
Gross Radio has been out of business for quite a while. I included it mainly to
illustrated how large radio transmitters used to be - these things were installed
in people's attics and basements back in the day. This particular model, the CB-100,
is a "100-Watt Radiophone & C.W. Transmitter completely housed in an entirely
enclosed floor rack of ingenious design." It operated in the 1.7, 3.5, 7 and 14
MHz bands. For comparison, iCOM makes a
1 kW power amplifier today covering those
bands that measures roughly 6"(H) × 3"(W) × 9"(D) and weighs 55 lbs.
WWII era electronics company ads in QST, and another
Bliley ad in a 1945
Radio News issue.
Bliley Electric Advertisements
Gross Radio - July 1935 QST
A 100-Watt Radiophone and C.W. Transmitter completely housed in an entirely enclosed
floor rack of ingenious design. All units are fully accessible through the removable
front gates, for coil changing antenna network adjustments, etc. incorporates everything
from microphone leek to impedance matching antenna network.
- R. F. LINE UP- 47 crystal oscillator, two 46's buffer, 03-A amplifier.
- FREQUENCY COVERAGE - 1.7, 3.5, 7 and 14 MC Bands.
- POWER SUPPLIES - 1050 and 1200 volts at 400 MA choke input, 8 mfd Pyronal condenser
used and 400 volts at 300 MA.
- SPEECH AMPLIFIER - Special four stage high gain speech amplifier self contained
from microphone jack to gain control.
- MODULATOR - Two 800's are used in the Class B Modulator. 100% modulation.
- BIAS - No bias batteries of any kind required.
- ANTENNA UNIT - Impedance matching network supplied for use with any type of
- OPERATING CONTROLS - Terminations provided for operating all switches from
- SIZE - 60" high, 19%" wide, 16" deep.
ANNOUNCING II NEW GROSS C8-300
Class B Modulated Radiophone Transmitter 250 Watts Output. Attractively Priced.
LEST YOU FORGET:
Gross Radio's Engineering Department is under the direct supervision of J. Gross
who has had over 20 years experience in the construction of transmitters of various
types. Mr. Gross has for 12 years been actively engaged in manufacturing transmitters.
The first crystal controlled transmitter advertised in OST was designed by him.
Ultimately, the long experience and fine reputation of the company you buy from
is your best guarantee of satisfaction.
Descriptive Literature Sent Upon Request
GROSS RADIO, INC.
51 VESEY STREET, NEW YORK
July 1935 QST
Bring Your Frequency Drift Down to U.S. Government Specifications with the new
BLILEY LD-2 CRYSTAL UNIT
All latest government specifications for crystals call for low temperature coefficient
Now, with the new Bliley LD·2 Crystal Unit you can get for the first time a frequency
control unit that is guaranteed to drift less than 8 cycles/megacycle that sells
for only $4.80.
See the new Bliley LD·2 Crystal Unit at your nearest dealer at once. Look for
the improved permanently sealed holder.
OUTSTANDING LD·2 FEATURES
1. Choice of 40. 80 and 160 meter bands.
2. Greatly improved sealed holder
3. Greater activity.
4. Guaranteed 0.03% accurate In your transmitter
5. Supplied within 0.1% of your desired frequency, or choice
from dealers' stock.
6. Costs only $4.80 al your dealer
Posted February 28, 2019(original 4/5/2013)