All RF Cafe quizzes would make perfect fodder for employment interviews for technicians or engineers
- particularly those who are fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to
think of it, they would make equally excellent study material for the same persons who are going to
be interviewed for a job.
Some of these books used in quizzes are available as prizes
in the monthly RF Cafe Giveaway.
Note: Many answers contain passages quoted in whole or in part from the text.
quiz is based on the information presented in Cognitive Radar: The Knowledge-aided Fully Adaptive Approach , by
Joseph R. Guerci. Published by Artech House.
Note: Some of these books are
available as prizes in the monthly RF Cafe
1. What is meant by "cognitive" radar?
a) Ability to ignore non-relevant to
enhance relevant targets
b) Ability to display all targets
c) Using cogs and cams for antenna drive
Using static database for object de-cluttering
2. What are 3 examples of
applications for cognitive radar?
a) Removal of heterogeneous clutter, manmade structures, non-stationary
b) UAV control, moon-bounce ranging, border protection
c) Explosives detection, mm-scale measurement, food preservation
d) Weather forecasting, cancer treatment,
3. What is an intelligent method to overcome memory access latency
a) Use faster data bus
b) Use more memory
c) Use faster processor
d) Use look-ahead
4. What does the acronym SINR stand for?
a) SIgnal Nulling and
b) Signal-to-Interference-plus-Noise Ratio
c) Static Incidental Noise amelioRation
5. What is signal "whitening?"
a) Electronically "bleaching" a signal
b) Applying the algorithm devised by A.D. White
c) Making the target brighter on the radar display
d) Removing the "color," or non-randomness components of
6. How does multipath affect a radar signal?
a) False range
b) False speed measurements
c) Ghost images
d) All of the above
7. What is a primary feature of MIMO (Multi-Input-Multi-Output) radar?
Both Tx and Rx are optimized
b) Multiple inputs
c) Multiple outputs
d) Low power requirement
8. Which channel characteristics generally depend on the transmit spatio-temporal
a) Transmit-dependent channel estimation
b) Receive-dependent channel estimation
c) Channel ordering
d) Pulse repetition interval (PRI)
9. What information
does Doppler provide?
10. Who is the author of "Cognitive Radar?" (don't look back at the top of the page)
a) Alberto Gomez
b) Arthur Blatt
c) Joseph Guerci
d) Robert Pease
Need some help? Click here for the
answers and explanations.