All RF Cafe quizzes would make perfect fodder for employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly
those who are fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it, they would make equally
excellent study material for the same persons who are going to be interviewed for a job.
Some of these books used in quizzes are available as
prizes in the monthly RF Cafe Giveaway
Note: Many answers contain passages quoted from
This quiz is based on the information presented in Cognitive Radar: The Knowledge-aided Fully Adaptive Approach , by Joseph R. Guerci. Published by Artech House.
Note: Some of these books are available as prizes in the monthly RF Cafe Giveaway.
1. What is meant by "cognitive" radar?
a) Ability to ignore non-relevant to enhance relevant targets
b) Ability to display all targets
c) Using cogs and cams for antenna drive
d) Using static database for object de-cluttering
2. What are 3 examples of applications for cognitive radar?
a) Removal of heterogeneous clutter, manmade structures, non-stationary electronics sources
b) UAV control, moon-bounce ranging, border protection
c) Explosives detection, mm-scale measurement, food preservation
d) Weather forecasting, cancer treatment, active denial
3. What is an intelligent method to overcome memory access latency problems?
a) Use faster data bus
b) Use more memory
c) Use faster processor
d) Use look-ahead prediction
4. What does the acronym SINR stand for?
a) SIgnal Nulling and Ranging
b) Signal-to-Interference-plus-Noise Ratio
c) Static Incidental Noise amelioRation
d) SImple Nodal Reduction
5. What is signal "whitening?"
a) Electronically "bleaching" a signal
b) Applying the algorithm devised by A.D. White
c) Making the target brighter on the radar display
d) Removing the "color," or non-randomness components of noise
6. How does multipath affect a radar signal?
a) False range measurements
b) False speed measurements
c) Ghost images
d) All of the above
7. What is a primary feature of MIMO (Multi-Input-Multi-Output) radar?
a) Both Tx and Rx are optimized
b) Multiple inputs
c) Multiple outputs
d) Low power requirement
8. Which channel characteristics generally depend on the transmit spatio-temporal signals?
a) Transmit-dependent channel estimation
b) Receive-dependent channel estimation
c) Channel ordering
d) Pulse repetition interval (PRI)
9. What information does Doppler provide?
10. Who is the author of "Cognitive Radar?" (don't look back at the top of the page)
a) Alberto Gomez
b) Arthur Blatt
c) Joseph Guerci
d) Robert Pease
Need some help? Click here for the answers and explanations.