Here is the "Electricity - Basic Navy Training Courses"
(NAVPERS 10622) in its entirety. It should provide one of the Internet's
best resources for people seeking a basic electricity course - complete with examples
worked out. See
Contents. • U.S. Government Printing Office; 1945 - 618779
These questions test your knowledge of the
material presented in
Chapter 17 Quiz - AC Circuits
1. What are the two outstanding characteristics of a.c.?
2. An a.c. has a maximum value, of 25 amperes. What is its effective value?
3. How does resistance affect the phase of a current?
4. How does inductive reactance affect the phase of a current?
5. How does capacitive reactance affect the phase of a current?
6. How could you reduce the total reactance of an inductive circuit?
7. A circuit contains 18 ohms of capacitive reactance, 12 ohms of inductive reactance
and 8 ohms of resistance.
(a) What is the total reactance?
(b) What is the impedance?
(c) Does the current lag or lead?
Chapter 17 ANSWERS
1. A.C. is constantly changing in value and regularly reverses its direction.
2. 17.675 amps.
3. Resistance keeps the current "in phase."
4. Inductive reactance makes the current lag its voltage.
5. Capacitive reactance makes the current lead its voltage.
6. Add capacitive reactance by inserting a condenser.
7. (a) 6 ohms of reactance. (b) 1Q ohms of impedance. (c) The current leads.