May 1967 Electronics World
This crossword puzzle
appeared in the May 1967 edition of Electronics World. If you happen to be an avid cruciverbalist, then you might
want to try a few of the RF and microwave engineering themed crosswords that I have been publishing weekly for a
[Table of Contents]
People old and young
enjoy waxing nostalgic about and learning some of the history of early electronics. Electronics World was published
from May 1959 through December 1971.
As time permits, I will be glad to scan articles for you. All copyrights (if any) are hereby
See all the available
Electronics World articles.
By James R. Kimsey
1. One of the essential components in a vacuum
4. Greek letter designating "ohm".
7. Malt beverage.
8. Device used to increase power, voltage, or current of a signal.
12. Familiar trio in Ohm's Law.
13. Mighty African river.
14. Move a TV camera to keep it trained on the subject.
15. The tube
electrode to which the main electron stream flows.
16. The prevention of vibration by some means.
Mutual conductance (abbr.).
20. Part of the eye.
19. To vary the amplitude, frequency, or phase of an
oscillation, usually at a signal frequency rate.
21. The male heir.
29. A term used to
describe a terminal which has more electrons than normal.
30. A small spring-like clamp.
current, in the tube manual.
32. An antenna which is an integral part of a radio or TV receiver.
43. Type of insulation.
44. Resistance network
used in coupling two impedances.
45. Miniature receiving tube having nine pins.
tetrode capable of providing continuous operation at 50 kW or more in the u.h.f. region.
1. Gaseous radioactive products formed by the
expulsion of an alpha particle from radium, thorium X, or actinium X.
2. Small coil used to measure a
3. An element combined with oxygen.
4. An oil used in medicine.
6. Storage of components until their characteristics have become stable and constant.
9. Period of
time (abbr.) .
11. General term applied to receivers.
12. Prefix meaning "on".
Moved rapidly on foot.
17. For example (abbr.) .
23. World peace-keeping
24. Long-nosed metal clip.
25. Widening the volume range of an audio-frequency
26. Cut of type of crystal used for r.f. transmitters between 500 kHz and 10 MHz.
33. Massive government agency (abbr.).
34. Antenna matching device used to permit
efficient coupling of transmitter having unbalanced output to antenna having balanced transmission line.
36. General and ex-President.
37. A test.
38. Connecting wires.
40. Fish eggs.
46. Type of communications system (abbr.).
Answer to Puzzle