October 1963 Electronics World
Table of Contents
People old and young
enjoy waxing nostalgic about and learning some of the history of early electronics. Electronics World
was published from May 1959 through December 1971. See all
Electronics World articles.
This crossword puzzle appeared in the October 1963 edition of
Electronics World. About half the words used are related
directly in some way to electronics or physics. My
RF Cafe crosswords, BTW, have 100% of the words directly
related to the sciences. Enjoy.
By John D. Owens
1. Incombustible residue left after burning.
4. Types of potentiometer used primarily as an
9. Slang for equipment.
12. Chemical suffix denoting salt.
13. Type of FM detector circuit.
14. One (Scots).
15. Circuit having parallel Rand C in one arm;
series Rand L in the opposite arm.
18. Unrefined metal.
19. _________ conductors: class of solid materials
characterized by high resistance.
22. You (German).
24. One electrode of a battery.
27. Island (French).
28. Tolerance value of silver in the resistor code.
29. That is.
31. Device having a tungsten filament and containing
mercury or argon.
35. Altitude (abbr.).
36. Visible lines on a TV screen.
37. Secret agent.
38. Care for.
41. Geological formations
42. Teleost fish.
44. Day (Spanish).
45. Material used to maintain high frequency stability
in a vacuum-tube oscillator of a transceiver.
52. Part ownership in a business enterprise (abbr.).
53. Term used to indicate that current is being
taken from a voltage source.
54. Former name of the industry's engineering
55. Frequency bandwidth.
56. American poet.
57. System based on primary units of length, mass,
and time (abbr.).
2. Depot (abbr.).
3. Six-electrode vacuum tubes.
4. Elm or oak.
6. Big body of water (abbr.).
7. Fishes in a particular way.
8. Angry (slang).
9. Receiver (colloq.).
10. Common word ending.
11. Make a right turn.
20. Operates photoelectric relay.
22. Polyphase winding connection.
25. Artificial illumination sources.
26. Catch sight of.
29. Suffix denoting chemical compounds.
32. Type of volume control.
33. First woman.
34. Possessing non-directional characteristics.
39. Close by.
41. Prefix meaning "not."
43. British for "Inc."
44. Unit of force.
45. Confirmation of radio communication among
46. New channels (abbr.).
47. Metallic element (abbr.).
48. Top of a tube.
49. River, in Spain.
50. Silver (abbr.).
51. The (French).
Posted April 20, 2015
Answer to Electronic Crosswords