January 1965 Electronics World
People old and young
enjoy waxing nostalgic about and learning some of the history of early electronics. Electronics World
was published from May 1959 through December 1971. See all
Electronics World articles.
Crossword puzzles have probably lost their appeal to most people.
I suspect so because up until early this year, I created a custom
electronics-themed crossword puzzle every week for RF Cafe
visitors, but not a single person has written to ask that they
be continued. Oh well, that saves an hour every Sunday. Lots
of magazines used to print crossword puzzles based on their
readers' interests. Unlike the RF Cafe crosswords that use only
relevant words, those puzzles used common filler words where
it was too hard to find a thematic word. This crossword puzzle
from a 1965 edition of Electronics World does a pretty
good job of using a majority of electronics-related words. Enjoy.
By James R. Kimsey
4. Jezebel's husband.
8. Type of current (abbr.).
10. Strong wind.
11. Commonly, the stage or circuit in a radio
set that demodulates the r.f. signal into its audio or video
14. Dill seed.
15. Part of "to be."
16. Ore deposit.
17. " ____ tube," special CRT.
19. Made to occur at or during a set period.
21." _______ switch," a multi-contact switch, usually rotary.
22. Component having two electrodes; one a cathode
and the other a plate or anode.
25. Atom or molecule which has fewer or more
electrons than normal.
26. Possessive pronoun.
29. Sea eagle.
30. "Swinging _," a type of mounting and feed
used to move cutting head at uniform rate across the recording
disc in some sound recorders.
31. "____troposphere"; that portion of the atmosphere
located about 40-60 miles above earth's surface.
32. Very small.
33. Noah's boat.
35. Tube circuit in color-TV receivers which
keeps both frequency and phase of 3.58-mc. color oscillator
synchronized with burst signal (abbr.).
36. Quantity (abbr.).
37. Fall into disuse.
40. Electron gun in three-gun color CRT which
provide beam striking the blue-emitting phosphor dots of screen
mosaic (two words).
44. On the sheltered side.
45. Delay in the recording or display of any
device with respect to the conditions being measured or reproduced.
46. Not any.
47. Type of curve formed by intersection of cone
and plane; the plane being parallel to edge of cone.
49. Any point, line, or surface in stationary-wave
system at which amplitude of wave-shaping variable is zero.
50. City map abbreviation.
51. Coil assembly used to produce electromagnetic
deflection of electron beam in CRT television tube.
2. Substitute for "the more expensive
3. Four-electrode vacuum tube.
4. Metaphorical saying.
5. In this place.
8. Smallest unit of any chemical
9. One type of communication.
10. Substance with a boiling point below normal
ambient temperatures and pressures.
12. Small, spring-type clamp.
13. "Hot-line" color.
18. Fruit drink.
19. Light brown.
21. Male cat.
22. Night moisture.
23. Former name of the industry's engineering
24. Single unit.
27. American Indian.
28. Round metal bar.
30. Intense luminous discharge between electrodes
34. Australian bird.
37."Over ________ ," the amount by which effective height
of scanning facsimile spot exceeds nominal width of scanning
38. Exclamation of sorrow.
39. Saucily free and forward.
40. Stop short and refuse to go.
45. Old card game.
Answer to Electronics Crosswords
Posted February 13, 2015