All RF Cafe quizzes would make perfect fodder for employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly those who are fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it, they would make equally excellent study material for the same persons who are going to be interviewed for a job.
Click here for the complete list of RF Cafe Quizzes.
Note: Many answers contain passages quoted in whole or in part from the text.
1. Where did Bluetooth™ get its name?
a) Nobody really knows
b) In honor of Harald Blåtand, once king of Denmark
c) In honor of its developer, “Big Blue” (IBM)
d) From a Muppets characters by the same name
2. Where did ZigBee get its name?
a) Nobody really knows
b) From the zigzag path of a bee
c) Named after the comic strip character, Ziggy
d) From the German phrase "sie gabe," meaning, "it just works"
3. Who is credited with conceiving of spread
spectrum radio communications?
a) Dr. Andrew Viterbi
c) Actress Hedy Lamarr
d) Kinch, the radio operator of Hogan’s Heroes
4. What is meant by the front-to-back ratio of a Yagi antenna?
a) The physical size of the front half of the antenna vs. the back half
b) The number of driven elements vs. number of director elements
c) Power radiated in the front main lobe vs. power in opposite direction
d) The weight proportion of the front half of the antenna vs. the back half
5. In an FM modulator with a 10 kHz deviation and a 5 kHz maximum modulating frequency,
what is the total occupied bandwidth?
a) 10 kHz
b) 15 kHz
c) 20 kHz
d) 30 kHz
6. Which WLAN standard provides the highest data rate?
a) IEEE802.11a (5.1 GHz RF)
b) IEEE802.11b (2.4 GHz RF)
c) IEEE802.11g (2.4 GHz RF)
d) IEEE802.11n (2.4 GHz RF)
7. Why might the mounting orientation of a surface mount capacitor affect frequency response?
a) The plates in the body could be either parallel to or perpendicular to the PCB, affecting coupling
b) Adhesion is usually better in one orientation
c) Conductive epoxy adhesion is usually better in one orientation
d) Orientation makes no difference
8. If you were handed an unprocessed wafer of gallium arsenide (GaAs), silicon (Si),
silicon-germanium (SiGe), and gallium nitride (GaN), how would you know which is GaN?
a) GaN is transparent and the others are not
b) The GaN wafer will be noticeably lighter in weight
c) The GaN wafer will be much thinner than the others
d) It would not be possible to tell the difference
9. The Smith Chart plot of a 50 ohm cable (in a 50 ohm system) spirals inward as the impedance
is plotted through multiple cycles. What is that indicative of?
a) A lossy cable
b) A capacitive cable
c) An inductive cable
d) The cable is coiled on a spool
10. What are the three primary JEDEC models used for ESD testing?
a) High (HHM), Medium (MHM), and Low (LHM) Humidity Model
b) High (HVM), Medium (MVM), and Low (LVM) Voltage Model
c) Human Body (HBM), Machine (MM), and Charged Device (CDM) Model
d) Heidi Klum, Claudia Schiffer, and Gisele Bündchen
Need some help? Click here for the answers and explanations.