All RF Cafe quizzes would make perfect fodder for employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly
those who are fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it, they would make equally
excellent study material for the same persons who are going to be interviewed for a job.
Some of these books used in quizzes are available as
prizes in the monthly RF Cafe Giveaway
Note: Many answers contain passages quoted from
This quiz is based on the information presented in Component Reliability for Electronic Systems, by by Bajenescu and Bazu , published by Artech House.
Note: Some of these books are available as prizes in the monthly RF Cafe Giveaway.
1. What is the mathematical technique for determining how often different values of a given characteristic of a device are expected to occur?
a) Integration of variables
b) Probability distribution
c) Likelihood of occurrence analysis
2. What is the name given to the lifetime failure curve
shown to the right?
a) Bathtub curve
b) Curved-flat-curved graph
c) Sideways "C" chart
d) Hockey stick curve
3. What is the largest contributor to contamination during semiconductor manufacture?
4. Which type of semiconductor type has the lowest tolerance to radiation fields?
a) Isoplanar ECL
5. What is/are the most common cause of product failure?
a) Design deficiencies
b) Process errors
c) Process variations
d) All the above
6. Which of the three lifetime failure curve (see Q2) regions is where an electromigration failure is most likely to occur?
b) Useful operating period
c) Infant mortality
d) Does not apply
7. What process is used to apply an electrical stress to components prior to shipping?
8. Which type of test checks for susceptibility to moisture on a IC die's surface?
a) Submersion test
b) Wetness tolerance
c) Damp heat test
d) Water torture
9. What is a major advantage of the thick film hybrid process over a thin film process?
a) More dimensionally stable
b) Higher circuit density
c) Higher component tolerances
d) Easy to cross conductor lines
10. What is a type of failure present in MEMS components not commonly found in standard ICs?
a) Thermal runaway
b) Surface abrasion
c) Lead impedance shifting
d) Substrate expansion
Need some help? Click here for the answers and explanations.