All RF Cafe quizzes would make perfect fodder
employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly those who are fresh
out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it, they would
make equally excellent study material for the same persons who are going to be interviewed
for a job.
Click here for the complete list of
RF Cafe Quizzes.
Note: Some material based on books have quoted passages.
Return to RF Cafe Quiz #17
1. Who is credited with inventing the computer mouse?
Gates founded Microsoft, Steve Jobs founded Apple Computer, and Bill Nye invented nothing.
2. Who is credited with discovering the transistor?
d) All the above
3. Who invented the Viterbi programming algorithm?
Robert Pease is a prolific inventor at National Semiconductor, Albert Einstein was Albert Einstein, and
Robert Lucky invented the adaptive equalizer.
4. Who is credited with inventing the triode amplifier vacuum tube (Audion)?
d) Lee De Forest
Sir Jonathan Audion is a fictitious name, James Watt invented the steam engine, and Brian Koenigsmark is an
engineer I worked with at Comsat.
5. Who invented the tunnel diode?
Scott Adams draws the Dilbert comic strip, Patrick Fitzgerald is an engineer I worked with at Lockheed
Martin, and Igor Stravinsky was a Russian composer.
6. Who is credited with inventing spread spectrum communications?
c) Hedy Lamarr
Akio Morita founded Sony Corporation, Thomas Steenland is a technician I worked with at Simmonds Precision
Instruments, and Albert (Al) Gore invented the Internet.
7. Who is credited with inventing frequency modulation (FM)?
a) Edwin Armstrong
Heike Onnes discovered superconductivity, Robert Jarvik invented the artificial heart, and Charlie Eppes
applies advanced mathematics to solve cases for the FBI on Numb3rs.
8. Who is credited with inventing television?
(although some say Vladimir Zworykin)
Yataro Iwasaki founded Mitsubishi, and Lothar Rohde & Hermann Schwarz founded Rohde & Schwarz (R&S).
9. Who is credited with inventing radar?
Sir Robert Watson-Watt
Gordon Gould invented the laser, Elmer Sperry founded Sperry Corporation, and Augustus Raytheon is a made-up
10. Who is credited with inventing the first integrated circuit?
b) Jack Kilby
(aided by Robert Noyce)
Garrett Morgan invented the traffic light, James (Jim) Wilson is the ϋber engineer who inspired my journey
into electrical engineering, and Grace Hopper invented the computer complier.