All RF Cafe Quizzes make great fodder for
employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly those who are
fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it,
they would make equally excellent study material for the same persons who are going
to be interviewed for a job.
Click here for the complete list of
RF Cafe Quizzes.
Note: Some material based on books have
1. What does dBi, the most
often used unit for antenna gain (or directivity), stand for?
a) Decibels of isolation
radiation in decibels
c) Decibels of gain relative to an isotropic radiator
d) Intrinsic gain in decibels
2. For which region of space does antenna gain normally apply?
a) Near field
b) Far field
the feed point
3. For which type of antenna does the pattern to the right describe?
Elevation Pattern Azimuth Pattern
d) 1/4-wave vertical whip
4. What is the free space impedance that an antenna "sees?"
a) 50 Ω
b) 75 Ω
c) 16p Ω (≈50 Ω)
d) 120p Ω (≈377 Ω)
5. What is the name given to the point where the RF input signal interfaces to the antenna?
(input connection point)
c) BNC connector
d) N connector
6. Where is the
approximate transition point between near field and far field?
a) λ / (2p)
7. What is an isotropic radiator?
a) An antenna that radiates equally in all directions
An antenna with equal dimensions
c) An antenna designed to broadcast in the troposphere
d) None of the above
8. Which type of antenna would typically have the highest directivity?
a) 1/4-wave whip
9. On a center-fed 1/2-wave dipole, where is the voltage
potential the highest?
a) In the center
b) At the tips
c) Equal everywhere
d) Nowhere - dipoles
operate on current
10. Yagi antennas are constructed of which three types of elements?
a) Transmitter, receiver,
b) Underdriven, driven, and overdriven
c) Reflector, driven, and director
iron, and magnesium
Need some help? Click here for the answers and