All RF Cafe quizzes would make perfect fodder for employment interviews for technicians or engineers - particularly those who are fresh out of school or are relatively new to the work world. Come to think of it, they would make equally excellent study material for the same persons who are going to be interviewed for a job.
Click here for the complete list of RF Cafe Quizzes.
Note: Many answers contain passages quoted in whole or in part from the text.
Return to RF Cafe Quiz #67
This quiz tests your knowledge on the history of familiar electronics products companies' name changes (aka etymology). Many of you have lived through the plethora of acquisitions, mergers, and name changes represented here. There might be more than one correct answer. You might need a motion sickness pill when navigating all the changes. Wikipedia is used as the reference because I know the historical information presented there is accurate (enough).
1. Skyworks Solutions designs and manufactures a wide variety of amplifiers, switches, front-end modules, and other ICs and modules for wireless systems. From which company(s) did it come?
b & d) Conexant Systems
2. Keysight Technologies is a premier maker of test equipment of all types. It has undergone multiple name changes. What was its original name?
b & c) Agilent Technologies & Hewlett Packard
Keysight Technologies in 2014 was born out of Agilent Technologies, which itself in 2001 was a spawn of Hewlett Packard. I'll never forgive HP for abandoning its test equipment brand in favor of computers.
3. Qorvo manufactures RFICs and components for the cellphone and wireless markets. Whence came it?
a & d) RF Micro Devices & TriQuint Semiconductor
4. Freescale Semiconductor makes many types of RFICs for applications like oscillators, amplifiers, and radio tuners. Which company recently bought it?
a) NXP Semiconductors
5. Fairchild Semiconductor's wide array of IC products includes those for analog and RF applications. Can you name the company that most recently acquired it?
d) ON Semiconductor
ON Semiconductor bought out Fairchild Semiconductor in 2016 (just a couple weeks ago). Prior to that, Fairchild Semiconductor was acquired by National Semiconductor in 1987 and by Schlumberger Limited in 1979.
6. Texas Instruments recently bought a very famous analog and analog IC producer. Which company was it?
a) National Semiconductor
7. Avago Technologies bought which well-known WiFi and Bluetooth RFIC product company?
b) Broadcom Limited
8. Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) was an early player in the fabless chip business, making WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS RFICs. Which company most recently bought CSR?
9. Linear Technology, a decades-long producer of analog ICs, was acquired by which company in 2016?
c) Analog Devices
Posted September 28, 2016