you remember seeing a company press release or new product announcement on the RF Cafe homepage but
now it is gone, try looking through the archives. Content is the copyright of the company represented,
but the page format is my copyright and cannot be distributed to other media outlets. Please submit
your content for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 | 2016
Planar Monolithic Industries (PMI) recently introduced eight
new products in their extensive line of RF and microwave components. The most interesting is the Feasibility
Study on PMI RF Radar Sense & Avoid Systems for Small UAS (Unmanned Aerial Systems), i.e., a drone
carrying radar. Also included are a couple 16-way power combiners, an EW receiver module, an and
amplifier. Contact PMI today for more information.
Feasibility Study on PMI RF Radar Sense & Avoid Systems for Small UAS (Unmanned Aerial Systems)
PMI Model No. RSAAS-001
is a Radar Sense and Avoid System that has been designed to provide obstacle detection for the 3DR SOLO
drone. This system uses (four) Doppler shift sensors to detect obstacles from all sides of the
drone allows obstacles from small size (such as a wire or a tree branch) to large (such as a wall) to
be detected when in range mechanical mounting can be adapted to fit other UAV platforms. Low power requirements
make this system ideal for UAV application. Each sensor has onboard adjustment for distance of detection
communication with 3DR SOLO is accomplished over USB interface via 30-pin accessories port connector.
- Operating Voltage: 5.0 ± 0.2 VDC
- Operating Current: 40 mA Typ.
- Output Frequency Range: 10.525 GHz / 10.687 GHz
- Antenna Characteristic: H-Plane Beamwidth: 120° Max
- Radar Range: 0.3 to 2 meters
Output Power: 10 dBm Max per sensor
- Communication Protocol: USB 2.0
- Mechanical Size: 12.8" X 7.2" X 1.9"
- System Weight: 305 Grams
- Exterior Finish: Black Anodized Aluminum
PMI Model No. PD-16-0D5G18D0G-SFF
PMI Model No.
is a CW immune EW detector module operating over the 2.0 to 6.0 GHz frequency range. This module
features an internal switch used to switch between the "Bit In" and RF In" with input blanking on both
ports. In addition, two amplified RF outputs are provided a 7 dB gain channel and a 33 dB gain
channel. The video output is designed to drive a 150 ft. cable, while maintaining high speed, and
- Input Frequency: 2.0 to 6.0 GHz
- Input VSWR: 2.3:1 Max, impedance = 50 Ohm
1.43 : 1 @ 50 Ω
1.30 :1 @ 50 Ω (RF IN)
1.24 :1 @ 50 Ω (RF OUT)
1.27 :1 @ 50 Ω (SW)
- Noise Figure: 8 dB Max - Measured 4.55 dB
- Input Power : (1) 1 W CW Max (2) 100 W Peak @ PW = 1 µs % duty, Cycle = 1% Max
- Control & DC Supply Connector: D-type Female 9 pin
- RF Connectors & Video Output (5 Places): SMA (F)
- TTL Control Logic Interface: See Logic Table
- SP3T Switch Specifications:
- Switch Mode: See Logic Table
- Isolation: 60 dB Min among all ports - Measured 76.58 dB
- Switching Speed:100 ns Max Measured 53.4 ns
- Output To 8-Way Power Combiner Specifications:
- Linear Gain: +33 dB Min - Measured 43.6 dB
- Frequency Flatness: ±2.5 dB Max - Measured ±1.36 dB
- 1 dB Compression Point: +3 dBm Min - Measured 4.6 dBm
- Saturated Power: +14 dBm Max - Measured 11.38 dBm
- Second Harmonics: -9 dBc Min - Measured -15.16 dBc
- Third Harmonics: -12 dBc Min - Measured -12.34 dBc
- I/O VSWR: 2.3:1 Max impedance = 50 Ohm
PMI Model No. EWDM-2G6G-65-70MV
PMI Model No.
is a 16-way, In-Phase Power Divider operating from 0.5 to 18.0 GHz. This model offers an insertion
loss of 20 dB with over 14 dB of isolation. The phase balance is 9° maximum and the amplitude balance
is 2.0 dB maximum. Features include SMA female connectors. Unit size is 19.00" x 10.06" x 1.73" (482.60
mm x 255.52 mm x 43.92 mm) with painted blue finish.
- Frequency Range: 0.5 to 18.0 GHz
- Insertion Loss: 16.0 dB Max - Measured 11.5 dB
- Isolation: 14 dB Max - Measured 15.95 dB
- VSWR: 2.0:1 Typ (Input / Output) - Measured 1.67:1
- Amplitude Balance: ±2.0 dB Max - Measured +1.25 dB / -0.85 dB
- Phase Balance: ±3º Goal, ±9° Max - Measured +7º / -5º
- Power Handling:
Forward: 10 Watt Max
Reversed: 0.5 Watt Max
- Impedance: 50 Ω
PMI Model No. PLNA-35-100M18G-P1dB24-120VAC
PMI Model No.
PLNA-35-100M18G-P1dB24-120VAC is a portable amplifier that operates over the 100
MHz to 18.0 GHz frequency range. This model provides 40 dB typical gain with a minimum OP1dB of +24
dBm. This amplifier features an illuminated push button On/Off switch in a small package (3.0" x 3.0"
x 1.75") with Type N connectors. Gold plated finish.
- Frequency Range: 0.01 to 18.0 GHz
- Gain: 40 dB Typ - Measured 43.03 Max / 38.89 Min
- Gain Flatness: ±2.0 dB Typ - Measured ±2.03 dB
- Noise Figure: 3 dB Typ
Measured: 5.35 dB @ < 0.5 GHz
3.62 dB @ > 0.5 GHz
OP1dB: +27 dBm Typ, +24 dBm Min - Measured 25.46 dB
- VSWR In/Out: 2.0:1 Typ. - Measured 1.95:1
- Maximum RF Input: +10 dBm CW
- AC Voltage Supply: 110 VAC
- AC Connector: 3 Pin IEC
About Planar Monolithics Industries (PMI)
Planar Monolithics was founded basically to take advantage of the growing demand in monolithic-based
products using the hybrid MIC/MMIC technology innovations that are mushrooming in a big way all over
the world. High performance and reliable products can be obtained by using this technology. Planar Monolithics
will meet these requirements. Planar Monolithics organization has been setup to design, develop, manufacture,
test, and market complex state-of-the-art hybrid RF/microwave and monolithic integrated circuits (MIC/MMIC)
and components, and hybrid MIC/MMIC supercomponents and subsystems. Planar Monolithics provides its
unique products for applications in space, military, communications, telecommunications, commercial,
and consumer electronics systems.
Director of Sales & Marketing
Principal Applications Engineer
Planar Monolithics Industries, Inc.
7311-F Grove Road
Frederick, Maryland 21704, USA
CAGE Code: 05XQ0
Phone: (301) 662-5019
Cell: (301) 455-9897
Posted May 22, 2017