Stimulus Amplitude VNA E5062A - RF Cafe Forums

RF Cafe Forums closed its virtual doors in late 2012 mainly due to other social media platforms dominating public commenting venues. RF Cafe Forums began sometime around August of 2003 and was quite well-attended for many years. By 2012, Facebook and Twitter were overwhelmingly dominating online personal interaction, and RF Cafe Forums activity dropped off precipitously. Regardless, there are still lots of great posts in the archive that ware worth looking at. Below are the old forum threads, including responses to the original posts. Here is the full original RF Cafe Forums on Archive.org

-- Amateur Radio

-- Anecdotes, Gripes, & Humor

-- Antennas

-- CAE, CAD, & Software

-- Circuits & Components

-- Employment & Interviews

-- Miscellany

-- Swap Shop

-- Systems

-- Test & Measurement

-- Webmaster

Measures
 Post subject: Stimulus Amplitude VNA E5062A
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:20 am 

Captain

Hello

I would like to know if it is possible to choose the amplitude of the stimulus signal in an Agilent E5062A Vector Network Analyzer.

I know I can choose the power (at least a range), but how can I know the amplitude of the signal? can I choose it?

Thank you very much.

Measures
 Post subject: Re: Stimulus Amplitude VNA E5062A
Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:20 am 

Captain

Can't anybody help me?

Can't I determine the voltage of the stimulus signal?

Thanks again.

fred47
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:56 pm 

General

Given the power and the S11 of the device under test, you can calculate the voltage at the input port.

While I don't have the specifications for the E5062A, usually VNA power level adjustability is limited, so you may not be able to reach the voltage you want.

Why is voltage so important, if you know the power?

Good luck!

Measures
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 am 

Captain

That's the problem: the power cannot be perfectly determined, but just 15dB-wide power ranges can be chosen.

I want to know Vin because I'm interested in obtaining the voltage transfer function and the output voltage.

fred47
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:22 pm 

General

"Voltage transfer function" by itself is not completely meaningful at high frequencies.

One classic definition is Vout/Vin, when driven from a voltage source, and driving into an open circuit. This can often be approximated at low frequencies (audio), but even there, you must be careful not to make your measurements inaccurate.

Both a pure voltage source and an infinite impedance load are, at some point, impossible to obtain and still be useful. For example, an active oscilloscope probe with 0.5 pF input capacitance still has an input impedance in the hundreds of Ohms at 1 GHz.

If you're using a VNA, you have a 50 Ohm source and a 50 Ohm load. You may be able to compute the voltage transfer function mathematically - but I'm not sure which constraints are important to you. The information is "hiding" mostly in S21, but needs compensation for S11 and S22, probably. Our host here at RFCafe has posted a complete set of equations for various conversions to and from S-parameters at https://rfcafe.com/references/electrical/s-h-y-z.htm

You'll need to identify what you really need, either as a Z-parameter, H-parameter, or Y-parameter.

Good luck!

Posted  11/12/2012