Electronics World Cover,TOC,and list of posted Popular Electronics articles QST Radio & TV News Radio-Craft Radio-Electronics Short Wave Craft Wireless World About RF Cafe RF Cafe Homepage RF Cafe in Morse Code Google Search of RF Cafe website Sitemap Electronics Equations Mathematics Equations Equations physics Manufacturers & distributors Engineer Jobs Twitter LinkedIn Crosswords Engineering Humor Kirt's Cogitations Engineering Event Calendar RF Engineering Quizzes AN/MPN-14 Radar 5CCG Notable Quotes App Notes Calculators Education Magazines Software,T-Shirts,Coffee Mugs Articles - submitted by RF Cafe visitors Simulators Technical Writings RF Cafe Archives Test Notes Wireless System Designer RF Stencils for Visio Shapes for Word Search RF Cafe Sitemap Advertising Facebook RF Cafe Forums Thank you for visiting RF Cafe!

How to Measure Return Loss for LNA's Designed for -130dBm - RF Cafe Forums

The original RF Cafe Forums were shut down in late 2012 due to maintenance issues. Original posts:

Amateur Radio | Antennas | Circuits & Components | Systems | Test & Measurement

AJP2012
 Post subject: How to measure return loss for LNA's designed for -130dBm
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:26 pm 

Lieutenant

Hi there!

I'm trying to find a method or instrument to measure return loss for a GPS front-end which
consist of an LNA that's dynamically controlled with AGC. The front-end of the GPS IC is
designed for around -130dBm and L1 (1.575420Ghz)

The network Analyzer I'm using outputs a signal at -60dBm. That's the lowest it can go without
the signal being overwhelmed by noise. The problem is S11 impedance on the smith chart display
appears almost as a short. The GPS receiver works ok. To me it seems obvious what's happening
here. The network analyzer's relatively large signal is forcing the LNA into compression.??

Also the strong signal is forcing the the AGC to switch the receiver into its low gain mode.
The receiver upon start up monitors the signal strength and chooses either low or high gain
modes. I want to measure the return loss in high gain mode.

So with all that said, anyone have a suggestion as to how I can measure return loss with using
a signal of -130dBm (up to -110dBm would probably be ok too).

Are there any vector network analyzers out there that can do this? Is a special test set needed? How about using a typical spectrum analyzer. I just need return loss, not necessarily the phase information.

Any help on this appreciated!

best regards,
AJP2012

SunshineDesign
 Post subject: Re: How to measure return loss for LNA's designed for -130dB
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm 

Colonel

There are no Vector Analyzers that have the low end dynamic range sensitivity to make this measurement. I suggest an Agilent PXA that can measure signals down to -174dBm with special processing and calibration to calibrate out ambient thermal noise. Seeing as you want to measure the LNA at it's input operating point of -130dBm, you need to measure down to -150dBm plus your coupler loss to make the 20dB return loss measurement. I suggest using a coupler instead of a bridge. Also you will have to measure this in a shieled RF box to remove all unwanted noise and signals that might interfere with the signal being measured. R&S may also have a Spec An than can measure down that low. Good luck with it.

Posted  11/12/2012

RF Cafe Software

Wireless System Designer - RF Cafe
Wireless System Designer

RF & EE Symbols Word
RF Stencils for Visio
Calculator Workbook
RF Workbench
Smith Chartâ„¢ for Visio
Smith Chartâ„¢ for Excel

About RF Cafe

Kirt Blattenberger - RF Cafe WebmasterCopyright
1996 - 2022
Webmaster:
Kirt Blattenberger,
 BSEE - KB3UON

RF Cafe began life in 1996 as "RF Tools" in an AOL screen name web space totaling 2 MB. Its primary purpose was to provide me with ready access to commonly needed formulas and reference material while performing my work as an RF system and circuit design engineer. The Internet was still largely an unknown entity at the time and not much was available in the form of WYSIWYG ...

All trademarks, copyrights, patents, and other rights of ownership to images and text used on the RF Cafe website are hereby acknowledged.

My Hobby Website:
 AirplanesAndRockets.com

Try Using SEARCH
to Find What You Need. 
There are 1,000s of Pages Indexed on RF Cafe !

height-line