Position: Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Location: San Diego
http://nokia.taleo.net/careersection/10 ... job=903508
"Connecting People" is at the heart of the Nokia brand. Nokia is the world's number
one mobile solutions company, connecting more than 1.3 billion people every day. Mobile maps,
apps, music, media, messaging and more are explored and presented here in a comprehensive mobile
Nokia's people ambition is very clear: an advanced integrated company
built upon trust and accountability, great leadership and common values. We understand people's
desire to join a dynamic and innovative team, where your ideas are valued and your creativity is
nurtured. Our future is your creation.
As a Sr. Mechanical Project Leader, you will be part
of a cross-functional design team responsible for conceiving, designing and producing exciting new
You will be a part of a team of product design engineers to bring products to
market with both internal and external development teams. You will need to work closely with many
different groups, including Industrial Design, Hardware Engineering, Operations, Design
Validation, Thermal, EMC, and Software.
Primary Job Responsibilities & Tasks:
Responsible for Mechanical project planning, requirements definition, error and risk management,
leading the Mechanical hardware design and testing verification in close co-operation with our
co-development partners. You will lead technical reviews and approval for all mechanical related
• Manage product program Mechanical project and deliverables according to project plan,
processes, requirements, specifications and objectives.
• Sr. Mechanical Project Engineer
provides the technical guidance and direction necessary to co-development partner's team through
authoritative decision making, integration and testing reviews as well as timely performance
feedback to ensure that the co-development partner successfully delivers an acceptable Mechanical
• Provides longer term technical direction by coaching and mentoring the co-development
partner's Mechanical team.
• Responsible for a total understanding of the Mechanical design
architecture, from component/material selection, concept design, design implementation, product
verification, mass production quality control and customer acceptance.
• Provide guidance to
co-development partner's Mechanical team regarding issues and troubleshooting of Mechanical
designs that are encountered during a product development cycle and communicates root cause to
other projects and other team members.
Scope of work:
• Individual contributor,
variety of complex tasks within area of responsibility, demonstrates initiative and contributes to
problem solving and supervises supplier team on R&D process and quality control.
necessary, able to take complete ownership and solve issues and implement solution when
co-development partner is unable.
• Acts with independence and discretion in routine matters.
Plan and follow-up product development schedule and deliveries.
• Makes decisions that affect
own work and related teams.
• A Bachelor's degree in mechanical
engineering is required. Masters preferred.
• 8+ years of mobile handset design experience is
• Competent in project management
• Must be able to guide and coach others,
including the co-development partners Mechanical design team
• Good team player with effective
verbal and written communication skills
• Innovative thinking, high motivation and energy
• Excellent English communication skills
• Proficiency with proto, low (quick tooling), medium
(soft tooling) and high volume tooling methods
• 8 or more years experience in product design
for medium and high volume portable consumer products
• Experience developing parts and
assemblies in 3D CAD
• Experience with the mechanical integration of RF, Antenna, Audio and
• Direct management of multi-national product development engineering
• Root cause analysis, DFMEA, design for six sigma and test methods proficiency
Finite Element Analysis proficiency
• Tolerance analysis proficiency
• Excellent materials
and manufacturing process knowledge
"Connecting people" is the heart of our brand. This is
why Nokia is respected and recognized worldwide. Our people shape and create future technologies.
This is something we are proud of, and so will you. We offer a dynamic learning culture that
nurtures openness, transparency, with endless opportunities for competence development. We reward
the results of your success. We cultivate a flexible culture that embraces the uniqueness of
everyone's life. Our resources support the mobile way of working and make it possible to arrange
your day in the way it suits your career and personal demands.