Rod L. Kirkhart
1003 Ashland Ct.
Allen, Texas 75013
OBJECTIVE: A challenging
career that involves the design and development of RF and microwave technology.
· Sixteen years of component and system level RF design and test experience.
· Designed RF and analog circuits and components utilizing various simulation tools.
Implemented several manual and automated test methods to improve productivity.
soldering skills and ability to solder 0201 and fine pitch components.
· Knowledgeable of
methods to improve circuit performance for various parameters.
· Proficient at creating complex
RF board layouts using tools such as Pads and AutoCAD.
· Enthusiastic, hard working and loyal
with a team player attitude.
Sr. Systems Engineer
Plano, TX. December 2007 – October 2009
· Design, modify and debug reference circuits for the
RF sections of DTV and digital cable equipment.
· Design and simulate cable related RF devices
such as diplexers, LNA’s power splitters and equalizers.
· Perform extensive test and
evaluation of DOCSIS cable modems, set top boxes and converter boxes.
· Create impedance
matching networks for SAW filters and CATV tuner interfaces.
Sunnyvale, CA. September 2006 – November 2007
· Designed low phase noise synthesizers for WLAN
and WiMax\MIMO testers.
· Successful in developing low cost, high performance circuits while
· Hands-on design and test of synthesizers including DDS, PLL, VCO and
· Created complex board layouts and schematics.
Antenna Wireless, Sacramento, CA. December 2004 - January 2006
· Developed FSK transmitters and
receivers with emphasis on RF performance such as sensitivity, harmonic suppression, VSWR, power,
gain and stability.
· Designed discrete RF circuits such as mixers, filters, amplifiers and
· Simulated circuits using Microwave Office.
· Tuned and measured monopole,
dipoles, log periodic and patch antennas.
· Optimized baseband circuits to improve data quality
· Selected devices for best performance and cost effectiveness.
layout and schematic drawings using various CAD programs.
Sacramento, CA. January 2004 – December 2004
· Lead prototype and pilot evaluations for RF
amplifiers, switches and attenuators.
· Designed balanced broadband RF amplifiers.
Modified RF components to improve yield and reliability.
· Performed simulations with ADS to
improve S-parameters, noise, linearity and stability.
· Created test methods and fixtures for
Master RF Technician
Remec Wireless, Roseville, CA. September 2001 - April
· Responsible for the design of 1-18GHz multiplier circuits for use in digital radios.
· Designed lumped element and printed filters.
· Developed and tested an ASK modulated
· Assisted in determining an efficient frequency plan.
· Tested and
repaired IF, RF and Millimeter circuitry of radios.
Premier Devices, Folsom,
CA. March 2000 - September 2001
· Designed a wide range of passive RF components such as mixers
and power splitters.
· Tested GSM and CDMA feedforward power amplifiers.
· Performed complex
tuning of millimeter wave amplifiers and ceramic filters.
· Delegated and directed RF
technicians and assemblers.
Junior RF Engineer
Advanced Counter Measure Systems,
Sacramento, CA. August 1999 - March 2000
· Tested and repaired communication jammers and
wireless data collectors.
· Developed automated test software using HP Vee.
· Evaluated and
qualified RF, analog and digital components.
Junior RF Engineer
Blue Cell, Sacramento,
CA. January 1998 - August 1999
· Modified components to achieve optimal performance and
· Evaluated RF products and presented results and suggestions engineering
· Developed and documented test methods for new products.
Denso Wireless Communications, San Diego, CA. March 1997 - January 1998
· Tested and debugged
the RF portion of CDMA handsets.
· Responsible for impedance matching components such as saw
filters, power amplifiers and mixers.
· Constructed and tested circuits such as amplifiers,
oscillators, PLL's and mixers.
RF Prime Inc., Sacramento, CA. July 1994 -
· Characterized RF components and compiled data for engineers and customers.
Supported production and solved test issues.
· Built and designed test fixtures.
PATENTS: Low cost planar double balanced mixer, US patent number 7305217
A.S.E.T. in Electronic Engineering, ITT Technical College, 1995.
LICENSES: Amateur Radio
License, Technician Class, KF6SXC.
REFERENCES: Available upon request.
This resume is
protected by copyright and may not be reproduced in any form without the expressed consent of the