1700-1900MHz 20w RF amp - RF Cafe Forums

RF Cafe Forums closed its virtual doors in late 2012 mainly due to other social media platforms dominating public commenting venues. RF Cafe Forums began sometime around August of 2003 and was quite well-attended for many years. By 2012, Facebook and Twitter were overwhelmingly dominating online personal interaction, and RF Cafe Forums activity dropped off precipitously. Regardless, there are still lots of great posts in the archive that ware worth looking at. Below are the old forum threads, including responses to the original posts. Here is the full original RF Cafe Forums on Archive.org

-- Amateur Radio

-- Anecdotes, Gripes, & Humor

-- Antennas

-- CAE, CAD, & Software

-- Circuits & Components

-- Employment & Interviews

-- Miscellany

-- Swap Shop

-- Systems

-- Test & Measurement

-- Webmaster

SDO

Post subject: 1700-1900MHz 20w RF amp Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Captain

Hi,

can any one advise me which transistors are available for designing 20w, 24-28V balanced RF amp to cover 1.7-1.9GHz band. I am using Microwave Office so it will be nice to have a device whose model is available in MWO like freescale.

Thanks.

SDO

IR

Post subject: Re: 1700-1900MHz 20w RF ampPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Site Admin

Hello SDO,

Take a look at Infineon line of RF Power Transistors.

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/ ... Power.html

From recent experience with them, I know they also have models for MWO.

Good lcuk!

Best regards,

- IR

SDO

Post subject: Re: 1700-1900MHz 20w RF ampPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:47 am

Captain

Hi IR,

Thanks for your reply. I've designed 20W PA (balanced Class A) operating from 1700MHz to 1900MHz using MRF19030 Transistors from Freescale.

Regards.

SDO

FSomma

Post subject: Re: 1700-1900MHz 20w RF ampPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Hello SDO,

Just to add some thoughts to your selection:

-The MRF19030 transistor form Freescale might be obsolete or in the way, perhaps you want to take a look to the Freescale 5th or 6th generation LDMOS amplifiers (MRF5... MRF6...) they are more efficient and rough (difficult to burn by a fair output load).

Also, you asked for a Class A operation, these Freescale transistors were designed to work as Class AB... I think if you try to make it work into a Class A operation you might end up having a lower P1dB.

-A 30W transistor for 20W sound like a good choice from the fact that you will have to use a very broad band match (many match stages---> more insertion loss) to meet the specs from 1.7 to 1.9GHz.

-Remember to add a circuit to compensate the bias point drift over temperature, specially if you plan to use it in a high bias point where you will have a lot of heat generation ( I assumed this from the fact that you asked for a class A amp) .

Take care

Posted  11/12/2012