Homepage - RF Cafe
Webmaster: Kirt Blattenberger | KB3UON | Sitemap | ©1996-2014     Visit RF Cafe on
      Menu below is just a small sample of what is here!          Visit RF Cafe on Facebook Visit RF Cafe on Twitter Visit RF Cafe on LinkedIn
Custom Search
More than 10,000 searchable pages indexed.
•−•  ••−•    −•−•  •−  ••−•  •
RF Cafe Morse Code >Hear It<

uwave antenna question: ways to emit 2.45GHz for heat - RF Cafe Forums

Because of the high maintenance needed to monitor and filter spammers from the RF Cafe Forums, I decided that it would be best to just archive the pages to make all the good information posted in the past available for review. It is unfortunate that the scumbags of the world ruin an otherwise useful venue for people wanting to exchanged useful ideas and views. It seems that the more formal social media like Facebook pretty much dominate this kind of venue anymore anyway, so if you would like to post something on RF Cafe's Facebook page, please do.

Below are all of the forum threads, including all the responses to the original posts.

Post subject: uwave antenna question: ways to emit 2.45GHz for heat
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:14 am 
as a novice to RF, I am confused about antenna behavior and practical differences among types. There is a waveguide to a feedhorn, there is waveguide to coax to something... dipole or the like, heard about notch antenna whatever that is, transmission lines and even dishes like for radar. How might these different antennas allow me to blast microwaves at something to make it hot? Issues are directionality and power transfer efficiency AFAIK. Assume we start with a magnetron.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:56 pm 
Pretty simple, really.

1) Use directional antenna like parabolic.

2) Match impedance of antenna to object to be "heated" in the near-field (forget far-field for reasonable power levels).

3) Match power amplifier output to antenna input impedance.

4) Turn on power switch.

5) Cook to your preference (a little darker to kill mad cow virus).

:smt005

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:55 am 
Sounds well and good but your plan requires a different antenna for each item to get cooked. Besides, how do you calculate the impedence of a rock or a brick? Wouldn't it change depending on volume too?
Also, if using a surplus oven magnetron, there is no tuning possible AFAIK.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:42 am 
I certainly hope I am not too late on this, but PLEASE BE CAREFUL! do not operate the device unless cleared away. No microwave oven magnetron is safe enough to operate in open field without getting clearance of at least 30 feet.

Please ensure your safety first!

One more thing,

What gets hot in an oven, is what contains water.

Water gets tuned in 2.4 GHZ, and friction of the ringing molecules mates it heat.

any sat dish larger than 1.2m would be sufficien enough (angle of main lobe ~20 deg. @ 2400 for -6db, but remember you'll be spreading 100's of watts ERP in an angle of about 100deg. from the center.

I also estimate about 20 - 40 Watt leakage from the feed mounting arm, which will finally end up spreading all over the place...

Do you really need to do this?!?

Posted  11/12/2012
A Disruptive Web Presence

Custom Search
Over 10,000 pages indexed! (none duped or pirated)

Read About RF Cafe
Webmaster: Kirt Blattenberger
    KB3UON

RF Cafe Software

RF Cascade Workbook
RF Cascade Workbook is a very extensive system cascaded component Excel workbook that includes the standard Gain, NF, IP2, IP3, Psat calculations, input & output VSWR, noise BW, min/max tolerance, DC power cauculations, graphing of all RF parameters, and has a graphical block diagram tool. An extensive User's Guide is also included. - Only $35.
RF system analysis including
frequency conversion & filters

RF & EE Symbols Word
RF Stencils for Visio

Product & Service Directory
Personally Selected Manufacturers
RF Cafe T-Shirts & Mugs

RF Cafe Software

Calculator Workbook
RF Workbench
Smith Chart™ for Visio
Smith Chart™ for Excel
Your RF Cafe Progenitor & Webmaster
Click here to read about RF CafeKirt Blattenberger... single-handedly redefining what an
                                 engineering website should be.

View the YouTube RF Cafe Intro Video Carpe Diem! (Seize the Day!)

5CCG (5th MOB): My USAF radar shop

Airplanes and Rockets: My personal hobby website

Equine Kingdom: My daughter Sally's horse riding website