Homepage - RF Cafe
Webmaster: Kirt Blattenberger | KB3UON | Sitemap | ©1996-2014
Menu below is just a small sample of what is here!

Custom Search
More than 10,000 searchable pages indexed.
•−•  ••−•    −•−•  •−  ••−•  •
RF Cafe Morse Code >Hear It<

Low-profile antenna for 868 MHz with high directivity ? - RF Cafe Forums

Because of the high maintenance needed to monitor and filter spammers from the RF Cafe Forums, I decided that it would be best to just archive the pages to make all the good information posted in the past available for review. It is unfortunate that the scumbags of the world ruin an otherwise useful venue for people wanting to exchanged useful ideas and views. It seems that the more formal social media like Facebook pretty much dominate this kind of venue anymore anyway, so if you would like to post something on RF Cafe's Facebook page, please do.

Below are all of the forum threads, including all the responses to the original posts.

Post subject: Low-profile antenna for 868 MHz with high directivity ?
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:26 am 
Hello,

I'm searching for a low-profile antenne for 868 MHz, which possesses high directivity.

At the moment I don't have any idea how an antenna like this could be build. Normally if you want an antenna with directivity in this frecuency range, one would build something like a logarithmic antenna with a reflector and so on (Yagi etc.). But my antenna has to be nearly planar. Another possibility to achieve high directivity would be the use of an array, but for the frecuency required that would be quite big....
'High directivity' is not defined exactly until now, because I'm just searching for ideas, anything better than isotropic would be of help.

Any ideas ?

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:52 pm 
I think you are right guys! :)

Post subject: Directivity
Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:12 pm 

General

Hi!

You don't mention which is more important:
1. Transmission/reception from only one direction (narrow beam width), or 2. The ability to null out signals to/from one direction.

Also, what size range is acceptable? Your post seems a bit vague here.

Directivity is really only obtained by multiple radiators (the array approach, which can include driven and parasitic arrays) or by quasi-optical methods (parabolic dishes, lenses, etc.)

Good Luck!
Fred

Post subject: Low Profile Antenna for 868MHz
Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:58 am 

General

Other info missing: do you wish to design the system or not?
If you wish to design it:
Using a corporate strip-line array of full-wavelength (in the dielectric) suggests an array of 4 full-wave dipoles would measure about 30cm high by 20cm wide for horizontal polar (or the other way round for vertical polarization), and would give a gain of about 12dBi

The dipoles are fed through 3dB strip-line T junction matched splitters

if you wish to purchase
Some companies manufacture such antennas as flat panel types for this part of the radio spectrum

Trev

Posted  11/12/2012
A Disruptive Web Presence

Custom Search
Over 10,000 pages indexed! (none duped or pirated)

Read About RF Cafe
Webmaster: Kirt Blattenberger
    KB3UON

RF Cafe Software

RF Cascade Workbook
RF Cascade Workbook is a very extensive system cascaded component Excel workbook that includes the standard Gain, NF, IP2, IP3, Psat calculations, input & output VSWR, noise BW, min/max tolerance, DC power cauculations, graphing of all RF parameters, and has a graphical block diagram tool. An extensive User's Guide is also included. - Only $35.
RF system analysis including
frequency conversion & filters

RF & EE Symbols Word
RF Stencils for Visio

Product & Service Directory
Personally Selected Manufacturers
RF Cafe T-Shirts & Mugs

RF Cafe Software

Calculator Workbook
RF Workbench
Smith Chart™ for Visio
Smith Chart™ for Excel
Your RF Cafe Progenitor & Webmaster
Click here to read about RF CafeKirt Blattenberger... single-handedly redefining what an
                                 engineering website should be.

View the YouTube RF Cafe Intro Video Carpe Diem! (Seize the Day!)

5CCG (5th MOB): My USAF radar shop

Airplanes and Rockets: My personal hobby website

Equine Kingdom: My daughter Sally's horse riding website