•−•  ••−•    −•−•  •−  ••−•  •
RF Cafe Morse Code >Hear It<

Job Board

About RF Cafe™

Sitemap

GSM 1900 Patch Antenna help - RF Cafe Forums

Because of the high maintenance needed to monitor and filter spammers from the RF Cafe Forums, I decided that it would be best to just archive the pages to make all the good information posted in the past available for review. It is unfortunate that the scumbags of the world ruin an otherwise useful venue for people wanting to exchanged useful ideas and views. It seems that the more formal social media like Facebook pretty much dominate this kind of venue anymore anyway, so if you would like to post something on RF Cafe's Facebook page, please do.

Below are all of the forum threads, including all the responses to the original posts.

Post subject: GSM 1900 Patch Antenna help
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:50 pm 

Lieutenant

Hi,

I am looking to buy this Patch Antenna for my AT&T wireless cellphone:
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/1.9ghz ... a_8dbi.php

but, I know that ATT goes down to 1850, but this Antenna is spec'ed to 1880.
does anyone know this Antenna is OK for ATT's high band GSM?

Or if not, does anyone has a suggestion on similar Patch Antennas that would work for ATT's high Band GSM service?

thanks in advance for any information,
Marc

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:30 pm 

Lieutenant

Hi Marc,

You might want to request the VSWR or Return Loss plots for this antenna from 1850 - 1990MHz from HyperLink. My guess is that the return loss starts to get bad at the lower frequency, which translates into a poor match for your power amplifier. At it's worst, a poor match could cause your power amplifier to fail due to a high VSWR. Other than that, you will start to loose gain, and have a power mismatch between your uplink and downlink.

Just a hunch, but if Hyperlink had the ability to spec this antenna down to 1850, I'm sure they would have done it, or they are really missing a good market.

You may want to keep shopping around.

Best Regards,

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:06 am 

General

A simple patch antenna only has a bandwidth (VSWR <= 2:1) of 2%.
There are ways to broaden this by overlaying patches that are isolated electrically, and using resonant apertures etc, but I do not believe Hyperlink equipment incorporates these ideas (yet) as standard.

Post subject: thank you very much for these information. [nt]
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:29 pm 

Lieutenant

Posted  11/12/2012
Custom Search
More than 10,000 searchable pages indexed.

Your RF Cafe
Progenitor & Webmaster

Click here to read about RF CafeKirt Blattenberger... single-handedly redefining what an engineering website should be.

View the YouTube RF Cafe Intro Video Carpe Diem!
(Seize the Day!)

5th MOB: My USAF radar shop

Airplanes and Rockets: My personal hobby website

Equine Kingdom: My daughter Sally's horse riding website